Dairy-Free Soy-Based Cheese Alternatives for Pizza

• Dairy-Free Soy-Based Cheese Alternatives for Pizza

We receive so many inquiries about dairy-free “cheese” that it seemed about time we put up a comparison review of the most popular brands. Each of the vegan soy cheese brands tested are dairy-free (that means casein-free, lactose-free, whey-free, etc.), gluten-free, and vegan. This review and comparison is from the popular vegan restaurant reviewer, quarrygirl.com (alas, she is no longer posting reviews, but this one lives on!).

Note: Since this original review and comparison, Daiya, a soy-free vegan cheese alternative, arrived on the scene. Quarrygirl gives Daiya very high marks (just below Cheezly). It is available at natural food stores and some major grocers throughout the U.S. This is just a review nad comparison of the vegan soy-based cheese alternatives on the market.

We took all the top retail vegan soy cheese brands and put them to the test in the ultimate vegan pizza contest. the soy cheese contenders consisted of all the big names: Follow Your Heart, Sheese, Cheezly and Teese. We ordered them all online at veganessentials.com and sampled each of them on a standard, basic, homemade vegan pizza crust.

Vegan Soy Cheese Pizza – Review and Comparison of Dairy-Free Cheese Alternatives

Let’s start off by defining the rating system. We will determine the absolute best vegan soy cheese by evaluating them based upon 5 very simple criteria: taste uncooked, taste cooked, meltyness, value, and availability. The ratings are on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the best of the best of the best.

Teese Vegan Soy Cheese Alternative

From the ordering website: “Teese is the first dairy-free and casein-free cheese that melts and tastes like a real dairy cheese. Teese is crafted through a proprietary process by certified “Teesemakers” to taste just like artisanal cheese. Teese promises to deliver the taste and melt non-dairy connoisseurs have sought for years”

Teese Vegan Soy Cheese Alternative Pizza

taste uncooked: The taste raw is definitely sour. Cheese-like, but weird, wet and waxy. 3 out of 5 (see note below)

taste cooked: Pretty close to real cheese, I’ll take it! 4 out of 5

meltyness: Teese’s melt factor was insane! we threw this pizza in the oven, and when it came out, the cheese on top was a pinkish SOUP. I have tried a few times subsequently, and it seems that teese cheese always turns into pink mush. I found if you let it cool for about 10 minutes, the pink teese soup turns into a decent edible pizza cheese, thus ultimately warranting a 3 out of 5 (see note below)

value: Teese is $7.49 for 16 oz, that works out to $0.47/oz. 4 out of 5

availability: not sold in my area, but always available online. 4 out of 5

NOTE: Teese has come out with a new and improved version that quarrygirl rated as “vastly superior” to the version in this review. It is now very stretchy rather than soupy, has a better taste when raw, and has moved up the ranks to just below Cheezly.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.